home sweet home

13:41



Graduating university and moving onto the next step is certainly a daunting prospect for anyone who experiences it. I'm a few short weeks from my final year deadlines, and the end of my student-housing lease is drawing closer.. I feel lucky that I'm in a situation where I at least have a rough idea of where I'm headed when it's time to move on, I know some people don't have that luxury. I'll be moving in with my boyfriend of two and a half years, Callum. We've chosen the town, our budget for renting, and have even started applying for jobs there. I've been house-hunting for probably longer than I should admit. I've felt that pang when you see the perfect flat with the wooden floors and the enormous windows, and it's even in your price range! But then it dawns on you that you aren't moving for four more months and an apartment this gorgeous is definitely going to be snapped up by then. And while that's a sad moment, I can at least say that I've done my research, I know what to expect and how much to pay for it.

As well as browsing rightmove.com, I've recently become obsessed with online window shopping (screen shopping?) for the furniture and decor I'm going to fill our home with. Callum has a slightly more laid back approach to furnishing - although he has bought us a TV and helped pick out a toaster and kettle. The other week I was searching for the perfect cushion covers and he couldn't get his head around why. "Why are you looking at cushion covers on IKEA? We don't even have any cushions yet! Or a sofa!" So obviously I went searching for the sofa on which my cushions in their perfect covers could sit.

As a new graduate, I probably can't realistically see myself affording to buy all the wonderful trinkets, wall pieces and decorations that I want need, but a girl can dream. Here's the lowdown on my top 5 homeware pieces I've come across in my journeys (and by that I mean hours spent on IKEA and Pinterest).


Thanks to Callum's prompting, and my thorough sofa searching (interrupted only because Vikings was on in the background), I found the one. This 4 seater is from French Connection at DFS and I just love how comfy yet incredibly trendy it looks. I also love the neutral grey colour - it leaves me open to add a pop of colour with some funky cushions or rugs without it becoming too much.


Callum loves Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and I love cute things to put on the wall. This poster print by Sarah Utter for Olympia Community Print is the perfect union of both of these things. I love the colours of this print, as well as the hand inked letters. Unfortunately this is currently out of stock, but fingers crossed it'll be back soon. 

Another print I'm afraid.. this one I own already however. I recently took a short trip to New York as part of a university excursion and it's firmly become my favourite places I've visited, and maybe even my favourite city. In anticipation of my Manhattan adventure, my lovely mum bought this print for mine and Callum's flat, I can't wait to get a simple black frame for it and have it on display! I love the design of this print, it reminds me of a vintage postcard, and having it in my house will be a great reminder of my favourite holiday. 


I didn't know this until recently, but H&M have a pretty amazing range of homeware! Maybe this is common knowledge already, but I am impressed! Remember that pop of colour to go with my grey sofa? I think I've found it. I love these yellow patterned cushion covers from H&M, they come in all different designs and I think they'd be a great addition to any living room.
This is something else I've actually already picked up in anticipation. I know I probably could have made these myself, but I'm pretty rubbish at DIY and I get fed-up if I don't get it right the first time. I bought these magnetic polaroid photo frames from Urban Outfitters, and I just think they're so cute. I can't wait to find pictures for them - they'll be a great way to celebrate all the amazing memories and friends I made at uni once I've left. 

I hope you've enjoyed this post. As my first post I'm hoping at least someone finds it interesting or informative - fingers crossed! What homeware pieces are you desperate to get your hands on? Let me know!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts